Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Yikes! I am leaving in 36 hours!

Seeing as this is a blog about my trip to the Himalayas, I figured I should contribute. This may be one of very few posts from me as I am not sure when I will have internet access in the middle of nowhere. I will keep it brief since a) Jaime is a better narrator b) I still have catch up on work emails c) It's almost 11pm and this is my second to last night to spend with Jaime and d) I am working all day tomorrow and need my beauty sleep!

This is surreal. For years I have thought about doing some type of international work, but never got around to seriously pursuing it. Then this year one of my colleagues turned me onto this organization and it suddenly came together for me (thanks Sarah!). I know it is just a 3 week expedition. But for me that is huge. I can check off one of those things on my list of things to do before I get too sick/old/pregnant.

I can't really put into words the whirlwind of emotion/anxiety/panic/ excitement I am experiencing. Mostly because I have been too busy with last-minute preparations and working full-time until the last possible second (I am on peds call Wednesday night, leave Thursday morn). I'm sure it will start sinking in on the 15 hour flight from Chicago to Delhi.

I have been receiving a lot of warm travel wishes from friends and family. I'm sorry if I cannot respond to all emails or calls, but I really appreciate all the love and support. Thank you to Georgine and Tanja for the medication samples (Georgine has contributed to half my luggage space). Thanks to Jim for allowing me to take the time off from work to do this (despite your jealousy). Thanks to my parents for their continuous support (and for not freaking out when reading the accidental death waiver). Honorable mention goes to my mom for preparing madeleines, cookies and other yummy treats for me- all while recovering from bilateral pneumonia! Merci maman! (Harry apparently had no room to transport them, alas). Finally, I cannot express enough appreciation and gratitude to Jaime. He has bought much of my gear, is planning our itinerary, and is energetically documenting every moment! I cannot imagine being in the remote Himalayas without him. I can't wait till he joins me on the 25th!

Love to all,
Karin

No comments: