Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Team Himalaya Is Incommunicado. Expedition Schedule. Realization: I'm Leaving in Less Than a Week!

Our Intrepid Himalayan Explorers are now, by my calculations, on their way to Palampur, where I will hopefully be able to communicate with them (although I do not have a phone number for them there). Here is part of their schedule:

Feb 13 & 14: Clinics at Monastic school. Stay in tents. The 14th will be a half clinic day. Immediately after lunch they are scheduled to drive to Palampur and stay in a Hotel.

Feb 15: Drive into clinic site at Chowari (Yet another Himalayan town that is successfully avoiding Googleation). Overnight tents.

Feb 16- 20: Five day clinics at and around Powari (Also not Googleable. You can see my theory about that at the bottom of this post.)

Feb 21: Morning drive to Dharamsala/McLeodganj . They're going to see the Dalai Lama!

Meanwhile, back in San Diego, I have to start packing! I'm leaving in less than a week. And I am in the process of trying to leave earlier. Right now I'm scheduled to depart on the Tuesday following a long weekend. I'm going on points (we're talking major point drain) and Tuesday was the only day available. But something could open up. Inevitably I will plan for Tuesday and on Saturday evening I will call and there will be a seat open for Sunday at 5:00 AM. I will then be in a mad rush to get out of here and will forget my dental floss, my earplugs, and, quite possibly, my teddy bear.

I will be flying into Mumbai (Bombay) to hang with Eric Bellman. Apparently another friend of ours from SAIS will also be in town - direct from Italy - Fabio Soleri! When we were at SAIS in Bologna he was running Rimini. I think he's setting up a consulting business in India. Eric has provided the following run-down of what we will be hitting:

Restaurants: Salt Water Grill, Indigo, Trishna, Koyla, Kyber, Rajdani

Bars: Henry Tham's (apparently this is his house), Olive, Enigma, Shiro, Zenzi, Red Light, Poly Esthers

Sites: Gateway of India, Haji Ali, Banganga, Mahalaxhmi, Dhobi Ghats, Horniman Circle

and much much more

Just so you know, I have a bad habit of going back over posts for a few days and modifying and adding to them. Soooo.... you may want to scroll down and see if anything has appeared subsequent to your initial reading. I apologize but it's part of having an obsessive personality (I will be editing this post for a while).

1 comment:

Dave Morrison said...

Maybe you should have a recently edited section!