Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Research, The Blog, Goa


It is a spectacular morning here in Del Mar. It rained overnight and I am looking at the last of the clouds disappearing over Torrey Pines and the Pacific Ocean as the early morning sun bathes the entire scene in a warm golden hue. Dozens of birds are flying around in the protected sanctuary below. Absolutely gorgeous.

At the moment I am reading about India. Specifically, I am going through Frommer's India and Lonely Planet Rajasthan, Delhi & Agra. Even more specifically, I've been reading about Goa. Our very first encounter with Goa was a "Goan Curry" that we had in London with John and Stacey at Bombay Brasserie. Karin and I love Indian food and eat it on a regular basis - but the Goan Curry in London left a really lasting impression on us.

Goa, according to my research, is primarily known for three things: 1. PARTYING, 2. Beautiful Beaches, and 3. PARTYING. Goa became a "nirvana for dropouts" in the late 60's and 70's and has evolved into party central in the region. It is also an incredibly beautiful beach resort area.

I'm quite certain that most of the revelers are not aware that Goa encapsulates a rich heritage of both Portuguese and Indian influence. In fact, the Portuguese were in India for 500 years - right up until 1961. Goa contains beautiful villas built for European Gentry and for the Brahmins who were permitted to own land if they converted to Catholicism (it's good to be Brahmin).

Frommer's India refers to Goa as "India Light" and a good place to start a vacation as it is not as challenging as traveling in other parts of India. While Goa does sound intriguing, I do think we are going to have to give it a miss this time around in order to concentrate on the north of the country... though I do think Karin is going to need a bit of "India Light" after her weeks in the Himalayas. We'll see.

I have to get to work people. But before I do, I'd like to thank Mischa for helping me out with learning how to Blog and Heidi for posting her own blog and for answering all our questions.

No comments: